[fluid-dev] Building libfluidsynth to include in python package

From: Marc Evanstein
Subject: [fluid-dev] Building libfluidsynth to include in python package
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 16:57:53 -0700

Hi all,

I've been building a python framework for algorithmic composition, and it uses fluidsynth via a slightly tweaked version of the pyfluidsynth bindings. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for users to install my framework (via python's pip package manager) and get it up and running (on mac, windows, and linux).

I believe the easiest thing for users would be if, especially on windows and macos, the fluidsynth dll or dylib is contained within and downloaded alongside the python package. So this means that I would need a standalone version of libfluidsynth that is bundled along with its dependencies. (Both a dylib for macos and a dll for windows.)

How would I go about getting / creating these? Am I going about this in the right way?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marc