Re: [fluid-dev] Curiosity about release numbers

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Curiosity about release numbers
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 22:44:14 +0100

2.1.8 is the version of the project, that any maintainer is free to choose as he pleases.

2.3.8 is the version of the library-interface. It tells you about API/ABI stability because follows the strict semantic versioning rules originally implemented by libtool. See the comment here:
https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/blob/005719628aef0bd48dc7b2f860c7e4ca16b81044/CMakeLists.txt#L36-L44

And libtool docs here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html

Sometimes we have bugfix releases that add new public functions. In this case, we must increment the minor version of the library-interface. Whereas for the "project"-version we would just increment the micro level (as those are just bug-fixes). In any case, those are two completely different versions, that coincidentally look very similar at the moment :)

Tom