Re: [pooma-dev] Chevron Flow Scenario

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Chevron Flow Scenario
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:39:14 -0600

On Wednesday, April 11, 2001, at 04:25 PM, Jeffrey Oldham wrote:

q = dot( dot( replicate<2>(K), \grad(P)), replicate<2>(normals));

Hi Jeffrey,

In 2D there are 4 values of \grad(P) and K (after replication) per cell. The inner dot makes sense.

I don't know fully what it means to replicate an all-face centered field like normals, but I'll assume it means to double the number of normals in each direction. Then, I don't understand the counting since there are 8 normals per cell in 2D and 24 in 3D, compared to 4 and 8 cell-centers (on the sub-mesh) per cell respectively. This illustrates my primary concern with the proposal as currently written. It is centering-free and don't think you can get things to work out in general unless you specify this information. I also don't think we need to replicate values if we are precise about which one's we're talking about.

Scott