Re: [pooma-dev] gcc bug with static members of class templates?

From: Jeffrey Oldham
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] gcc bug with static members of class templates?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:03:30 -0700

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 05:07:13PM -0700, Julian Cummings wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is mainly directed at Jeffrey, since I know he has
> access to the latest and greatest gcc.  Compiling with
> gcc 2.95.2 on an HP in debug mode, I get a compile
> error from array_test22.  The loader complains that
>

> TensorEngine<2, double, Antisymmetric>::Zero(data)
>
> is an unsatisfied symbol.  It doesn't pick up on the
> assignment of the static data member Zero to 0.0
> in Tensor.h.  Is this just a bug in gcc?  I checked that
> this test is A-OK with the SGI compiler.

array_test22 compiled without complaint using gcc 2.95.3, 3.0, and 3.1
(aka development version).  I recommend using gcc 3.0, which
represents a large step forward toward satisfying the C++ standard.
It is not yet officially released, but I can email you a copy.
Officially released is gcc 2.95.3, available at
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-2.95.3.tar.gz.

I recommend you upgrade to at least 2.95.3.

If you need help obtaining, compiling, or installing gcc, please feel
free to contact me.

Thanks,
Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden