RE: [pooma-dev] HOARD memory allocator

From: James Crotinger
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] HOARD memory allocator
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:01:11 -0700

I believe Suvas and Sung looked at Hoard back when we were at LANL. Can't remember the details, but there was something about it that they didn't like. Suvas played with a modified version of GLIBC's malloc that maintained a heap per processor, but I don't believe that was ever enabled in a release version of SMARTS.

We've been relying on first-touch and affinity settings to give us locality (when using threads), but we know there are tons of problems with this.

        Jim

James A. Crotinger
Software Research Scientist
Proximation, LLC