Re: [pooma-dev] status

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] status
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:03:30 -0600

On Tuesday, June 5, 2001, at 02:40 AM, Allan Stokes wrote:

I began authoring a test document in DocBook describing an approach to
optimal uniform partitioning which caught my fancy while I was reviewing
code in src/Partition.  This will be a two or three page exploration of
writing simple equations, psuedo-code, code formatting, etc. in a DocBook
context.

This week I will document the Pooma domain concept, and perhaps contribute some documentation to the NewField div stencil which Jeffrey and Stephen are presently working on. I suggested that I begin by comparing Jeffrey's Pooma implementation to similar constructs from the Blitz library, which factors
the code quite differently.

Hi Allan,

This sounds like a very good plan.

When you're looking at domains, could you also try to construct a plan for simplifying the current implementation, which makes domains more heavyweight and harder to optimize than they should be, and improving the physical design.

Comparing with Blitz is always a good thing since Todd has great ideas. However, support for parallelism; first-class fields with geometry, centering, and boundary conditions; and arbitrary data representation provide some additional constraints that drive our design. We'd need to have some *really* good reasons to start changing things very much at this point. BTW, there is another interesting package that uses sophisticated stencil objects from LANL called Pdeum. The developer's name is Martin Staley at address@hidden

Scott

P.S. Most of the Proximation folks have been working away on an internal project, which is supposed to be done by mid-June. Therefore, there is not a lot of POOMA progress to report. Also, I'm going on vacation June 7. I'll be back June 18th. Stephen is going on vacation June 11 and will be back the same day as me. We're both going to get some POOMA work in before we leave.