Compile Time Work

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Compile Time Work
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:35:51 -0600

Dave and I discussed the issues in a phone conversation and came to the following conclusions:

(1) the compile times currently suck
(2) this needs to be addressed at some point
(3) there is some reasonable expectation that we can significantly reduce the number of templates that get instantiated
(4) how much that reduces compile time is unclear
(5) given the fact that Stephen and I will be out of town, there is no way to do anything that will have any serious impact by June 18th (6) working on reducing compile time sooner rather than later represents a change in priorities (7) the Blanca team needs to decide if the compile time work should be given higher priority than other tasks (8) Stephen and/or myself are the best people to do this compile time work and will redirect our efforts if Blanca wants us to

Dave tells me that the Blanca team wants to give it a few days before making a final decision.

My bottom line is that I want to do whatever is required to help these folks succeed. We just need to know what the priorities are and don't want to have changes in direction on too small of a time scale or else we can't efficiently work.

Scott