The Big Picture

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: The Big Picture
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:14:14 -0700

Some of you have indicated that the big picture was getting a little fuzzy.

Obviously, LANL is our customer, and therefore we must continue to be responsive to requests for bug-fixes from the Blanca project. However, it is important that
we begin to make much more definitive progress on our major strategic goals.

We have two major strategic goals at this point:

 - Finish the new Field abstraction.

 - Make POOMA run faster.

In the long run, the success of POOMA depends on its ability to combine rapid application development with high performance. Once the Field work is complete, including the relationship updaters, we will have a very compelling story on the rapid application development front. In order to sell POOMA to industrial customers, however, we need to improve the performance.

In order to meet these goals, we will be dividing our efforts into several teams:

 Abstraction Team
 ----------------
 Scott Haney [leader]
 Jeffrey Oldham
 Steven Smith

 Performance Team
 ----------------
 Jim Crotinger [leader]
 Gabriel Dos Reis

Meanwhile, Allan will continue to work on documentation and Julian will continue to work on making Particles work with the new Fields.

When the Abstraction Team finishes up the work on Fields, it will be merged into the Performance Team, as the performance issues will then dominate the remainder of our work. However, because compile-times are also important, part of the work at that time will be to improve the compile-time performance, probably by reducing the use of unncessary
template instantiations.

Scott estimates that the remainder of Field work will take one month. To be conservative, August 1st will be the goal date for the completion of this work. By that time, we want to have the stenciling, centering, and updating features implemented, and we want to remove the old Field code from the tree entirely. Abstraction Team, please make every effort to make this date. The last month was slow; this month, we should be able
to pick up the pace.

Jim will coordinate the performance team. Scott and I believe that the best place for Gaby to start, once he is up and running, is to look at the Doof2D benchmark and to begin trying to reduce the abstraction penalty. This will be a good way of seeing how the evaluator code paths operate and will simultaneously give us ideas about how to
improve our serial performance.

My job will continue to be non-technical, for the most part. My major job will be marketing: I will be evaluating and contacting potential industrial partners, and I
will be publicizing the work that you are doing to a wider audience.

-- The pointy-haired boss