Re: [pooma-dev] Using Cheetah with Pooma

From: Jeffrey Oldham
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Using Cheetah with Pooma
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:40:26 -0700

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 09:13:18PM -0700, Jeffrey Oldham wrote:
> Here are the steps I used to compile Pooma with Cheetah on my
> uniprocessor Linux machine.
>
> 1. Since I am using a uniprocessor Linux computer, I need to use the
> shared memory library mm with Cheetah.
>
> a. Obtain a tarball from http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mm/.
> b. tar xzvf mm-1.1.3.tar.gz
>    cd mm-1.1.3
> c. declare -x CC=/home/oldham/gcc-install/gcc1/bin/gcc
>       # I wanted to use my gcc3.0 so I declared its location.
>       # Otherwise, some default compiler is used.
> d. ./configure --prefix=${HOME}/pooma/mm-1.1.3
>       # I wanted the resulting files to be placed in the specified directory.
> e. make -j 3
>    make -j 3 test     # prints success if all tests pass
>    make -j 3 install
>
> 2. Install the Cheetah code.
>
> a. Obtain a tarball from http://pooma.codesourcery.com/downloads.
>    tar xzvf cheetah-1.0.tgz
>    cd cheetah-1.0
> b. Modify the source code for correct compilation:
>   i. Append "*/" to line 9 of src/Utilities/i386-lock.s
>   ii. I copied the attached LINUXgcc.conf to config.
>       # Modify all lines containing "oldham" to have proper values for you.
>   iii. Modify configure using the attached patch.
> c. Configure:
>   ./configure --noex --arch LINUXgcc --shmem --nompi --prefix
> ${HOME}/pooma/cheetah-1.0

CHANGE:
./configure --static --noex --arch LINUXgcc --shmem --nompi --prefix
${HOME}/pooma/cheetah-1.0

        # `--static' specifies building a regular, non-shared library
        This is necessary to be compatible with Pooma, which has a
        default of non-shared libraries.  Alternatively, one can
        change Pooma's default value.

>       # `--noex' specifies no exceptions
>       # QUESTION: Should we use exceptions for Pooma and Cheetah?
>       # `--shmem' specifies use of the mm package
>       # `--nompi' specifies no use of MPI
>       # `--prefix' specifies where to install cheetah
> d. Compile.
>    cd lib/LINUXgcc
>    make -j 3
>    make -j 3 tests
>    make install
>
> 3. Compile Pooma with Cheetah specified.
>
> a. Modify ~/pooma/pooma0/src/config/LINUXgcc.conf by specifying Cheetah's
> location.
> b. ./configure --messaging --arch LINUXgcc --suite LINUXgcc --opt
>       # --messaging indicates use of Cheetah
> c. declare -x POOMASUITE=LINUXgcc && make -j 3

Thanks,
Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden