how to apply mutating functors?

From: Garnet Kin-Lic Chan
Subject: how to apply mutating functors?
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:23:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

I've been using POOMA loosely as a framework for distributed arrays of
objects, and I have many loops where I'd like to apply a functor to each
of the objects in turn, changing their state. Because each object is
large, it would not make sense to use a UserFunction and do the copying.
Another thing I've been looking for is the ability to do reductions (in
particular some kind of summation operation).

I've had a browse through the code, and my guess is that I will have to
look at the evalute functions, but I can't quite make
out whether I can just pick LoopApplyEvaluator::evaluate and things will
work in parallel? Also is the function clever enough to work with
reductions, e.g. accumulating things into a variable in a stateful
functor, in a parallel application? Does anyone have some simple examples
of this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance,

Garnet