Re: [pooma-dev] Evaluator/ReductionEvaluator.h question

From: Richard Guenther
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Evaluator/ReductionEvaluator.h question
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:08:39 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> --On Friday, February 21, 2003 06:36:07 PM +0100 Richard Guenther
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I expected some critics on the patch, namely the following...
> > (so I delay committing this).
>
> At one point, I think people wanted POOMA to be able to work on any types
> that had normal arithmetic properties (roughly speaking, those that form a
> field, in the algebraic sense.)  So, I'm not sure if explicitly initializng
> things to "1" and such makes sense.

Hmm - at least for such a type constructing from a 1 or 0 element as
neutral element of multiplication/addition does make sense. Requiring
numerical_limits<> specialization maybe, too.

> But, I don't really know much about this -- it could be I'm totally off.

Me too - maybe someone can think of a problematic case here. At least the
patch brings a nice speedup and code size improvement for gcc3.2.

Richard.