Re: [pooma-dev] KCC versus icc

From: Jeffrey Oldham
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] KCC versus icc
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:38:28 -0800

Paul A. Renard wrote:
Hope I'm asking the correct crowd...

Given the following:

 const int N=128;
 Array<2,complex<float> > u(N,N);
 Iota<2>::Iota_t ij(iota(u.domain());
 Iota<2>::Index_t I(ij.comp(0));
 Iota<2>::Index_t J(ij.comp(1));
 Array<1,complex<float> > cx(N), cy(N);

 // Values for u, cx, cy are filled elsewhere.

 // Then the following is called:
 void compute(){
  u *= cx(I)*cy(J);    // runs 4X slower with icc than KCC
 }

When I time this routine, I find that it runs about 4X slower when compiled with Intel's icc (Version 7, -O3 -DNOPAssert -DNOCTASSERT) than with KCC (version 4.0f, +K3 -DNOPAssert, -DNOCTAssert). As expected, the KCC version runs as fast as hand-written loops.

Do others observe this same sluggish behavior with icc? Am I missing some obvious compile flag?
thanks
Paul

This is the first such report on icc's bad behavior. Perhaps someone else will have some idea.

Arch Robison (address@hidden) moved to work on icc. He would probably be interested in the smallest test case you can construct. If you send him information, would you please consider ccing me?

Thanks,
Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden