KCC versus icc

From: Paul A. Renard
Subject: KCC versus icc
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:10:07 -0800

Hope I'm asking the correct crowd...

Given the following:

 const int N=128;
 Array<2,complex<float> > u(N,N);
 Iota<2>::Iota_t ij(iota(u.domain());
 Iota<2>::Index_t I(ij.comp(0));
 Iota<2>::Index_t J(ij.comp(1));
 Array<1,complex<float> > cx(N), cy(N);

 // Values for u, cx, cy are filled elsewhere.

 // Then the following is called:
 void compute(){
  u *= cx(I)*cy(J);    // runs 4X slower with icc than KCC
 }

 When I time this routine, I find that it runs about 4X slower when compiled with Intel's icc (Version 7, -O3 -DNOPAssert -DNOCTASSERT) than with KCC (version 4.0f, +K3 -DNOPAssert, -DNOCTAssert).  As expected, the KCC version runs as fast as hand-written loops.

Do others observe this same sluggish behavior with icc?  Am I missing some obvious compile flag?

thanks
Paul