Re: [FR-devel] We have a (GUI) problem...

From: Horacio Lopez
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] We have a (GUI) problem...
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:14:26 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Kilmer" <address@hidden>
To: "FreeRIDE" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 7:20 PM
Subject: [FR-devel] We have a (GUI) problem...
> I've been doing some simple tests with GUI toolkits.  We may have a
problem
> with threading and the UI.  Since Ruby does not support native threading,
> the UI tookits I have tried starve other threads.  As a matter of fact, I
> can't get FOX to start in anything but the main thread (it crashes on
> Win32).
> We need further study on this...if anyone have specific expereince with
> this, or has time to work on it would be great.
>
> -Rich

What did Lyle say about that Fox feature ?

in http://fxruby.sourceforge.net/doc/differences.html#AEN509
Lyle mentions Support for Multithreaded applications,
and he says Ruby/GTK works the same way FXRuby does.

A temporary workaround:
The GUI could be a client application that is started independently.
(FXRuby, GTK/Ruby, doesn't matter)

FreeRIDE could have a plug-in exposing the inners of  the Databus
via DRuby.

In turn, this DRuby plug-in could be used by the pair programming
plug-ins in the future.

It also helps us to separate the GUI layer, and if you find a way
to write the GUI as a plug-in, you can easily move the code
without having to re-write almost anything.

There could be performance issues to resolve, and it's
just an idea, maybe it's not all that good, but it could work
for now, while we figure out the rest of the GUI.

cheers,
                    vruz