Re: [FR-devel] We have a (GUI) problem...

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] We have a (GUI) problem...
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:15:25 +0100

Rich Kilmer wrote:

I've been doing some simple tests with GUI toolkits.  We may have a problem
with threading and the UI.  Since Ruby does not support native threading,
the UI tookits I have tried starve other threads.  As a matter of fact, I
can't get FOX to start in anything but the main thread (it crashes on
Win32).

We need further study on this...if anyone have specific expereince with
this, or has time to work on it would be great.

-Rich

As a follow-up on this item, I have just installed FOX and FXRuby 189 on my Linux laptop and while looking at the examples given in FXRuby I noticed that the groupbox.rb example is using a Ruby thread to update the clock in the lower right corner. On my Linux machine this example works perfectly ok.

Does it work on Win32 as well? And if so how is this example different from the approach you have taken?

Laurent