Re: [FR-devel] Updated code for the core, plugins, etc

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Updated code for the core, plugins, etc
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:11:06 +0100

Rich Kilmer wrote:

Hey everyone,

I updated the core and made extensive changes to the Plugin class to manage
dependencies based on a state transition mechanism. See NEWS file for list
of stuff.

A typical plugin.xml file is now:

<plugin name="Test1_Plugin" version="1.0" autostart="true>
 ...config stuff...
 <dependency state="LOADED" action="start">
  <plugin name="Test2_Plugin" version="*" state="RUNNING"/>
 </dependency>
<plugin>

I will update how all this works on the Wiki at:

http://www.rubyide.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DevDoc/FreeRIDE_Core

In the Plugin Lifecycle section.

I hope this meets everyones needs for dependency management ;-)

Rich,

Congrats for all this nice rework and feature enhancement. I think we really needed a depency mechanism for plugins loading and it looks like we have it now!

Unless you or other developers on this ML have urgent modifications to commit I suggest that I freeze the 0.0.4 release by the middle of next week. This gives all of us a bit of time to shake your code a bit and see if there are any major bugs in it. Then I'll cvs tag, export the source files, zip them and deliver through the Savannah File Release Space.

We could also publish an annoucement on ruby-talk (of course with a big warning saying that this is really VERY alpha code and people should not expect a working IDE)

Comments?

Laurent