Re: [FR-devel] The Debugger Project and the Databus Inspector

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] The Debugger Project and the Databus Inspector
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:27:30 +0100

Curt Hibbs wrote:

Laurent,

I just noticed that you signed up to lead the debugger project -- great! I
wish I had the bandwidth to have signed up for it as I've always found
debugging tools a lot of fun to create.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on an idea for something that we could use right
away, a Databus-Inspector. Since just about everything in FreeRIDE will flow
through the databus, understanding what's going on (when debugging) usually
means understanding the current and changing state of the databus.

I originally conceived of the databus concept when designing an Java
application framework for a past project. Once we implemented a databus
inspector, it was like we had been working in the dark and someone finally
turned on the lights! It decreased out debug time dramatically.

Below are some notes on this that I sent Rich a few days ago. Let me know
what you think.

I've attached a pdf file containing a short description of my Java version
of the databus inspector. (Contrary to what I said in my email to Rich, this
databus inspector actually maintained two past snapshots, and displayed
change slots as bright-red=recent; maroon=less-recent; black=unchanged.)

Curt

While I agree with you that a Databus Inspector is a must-have tool I also have the feeling that it is a sub-project in itself. In my mind the Debugger is mostly to debug Ruby code written by FreeRIDE users, right?

I'll try and look into the databus inspector as well though because it is an interesting tool. By the way the attached PDF I got is only 2 pages long while the table of content says it has a lot of pages and Acrobat Reader complains the file is corrupted. Is it only 2 pages long?

Laurent