RE: [FR-devel] The Debugger Project and the Databus Inspector

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] The Debugger Project and the Databus Inspector
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:49:17 -0800

Laurent Julliard wrote:
> While I agree with you that a Databus Inspector is a must-have tool I
> also have the feeling that it is a sub-project in itself. In my mind the
> Debugger is mostly to debug Ruby code written by FreeRIDE users, right?

You are entirely correct. Since this has been on my mind, seeing the
"debugger" topic pop up just reminded me of this.

Also, the FreeRIDE plugin framework and the databus are generic concepts
that can be used for any application that wants to be based on a plugin
architecture. At some point it would make sense for use to separate out this
code into a reusable library.

Plus, FreeRIDE should someday have the ability to create a new project from
a list of user-selectable choices that would instantiate a skeleton set of
code based on some kind of template files, and creating a skeleton
plugin-style application could be one of the supported times (just
brainstorming here).

> I'll try and look into the databus inspector as well though because it
> is an interesting tool. By the way the attached PDF I got is only 2
> pages long while the table of content says it has a lot of pages and
> Acrobat Reader complains the file is corrupted. Is it only 2 pages long?

Yes, I extracted those two pages from a much longer pdf that documented the
entire application framework that I designed. The rest of the document was
not particularly relevant (if you're curious I can send it to you, but its a
500KB pfd file).

I extracted the two pages using Acrobat 5.0, and didn't think to remove the
table of contents -- maybe the "corrupt file" message is a result of that. I
don't get that message when I open the file in Acrobat 5.

Curt