RE: [FR-devel] Introduction

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Introduction
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:17:50 -0800

Martin Larsen wrote:

> I'm 24 years old and lives in Horsens, Denmark. I'm working as a Lotus
> Notes/Domino, Java and PHP developer. Besides that I'm studying in my
> spare time to improve my OO development skills.
>
> I'm very new to Ruby but not a newbie to programming in general, so
> hopefully I'll catch up fast.
>
> I just stumbled upon your project this morning and think it sounds
> very exciting. I have never participated in a open source project
> before, but hope my skills may be useful.
>
> I understand that the projects is still in it's youth which I hope
> will give me an opportunity to get familiar with the codebase before
> it gets too big and complicated.
>
> As I'm not very familiar with the project (yet) I really have no
> specific area I want to work with, so I guess I'll start with monitoring
> this list, improving my ruby-skills, test, fix and improve whatever I
> can. Besides that you are of course more than welcome to ask for help.

I'm really glad you decided to join us. There's a lot to do, but I also
think its going to be fun and rewarding.

Right now everyone is waiting on me to get out an initial release of the GUI
Framework. I have been extremely busy, so it has been taking me way longer
than I ever expected. And, still, everyone on this project has been very
patient.

As far as getting started, take a look at the DataBus and Plugin
Architecture. It is stable and working and will be the core mechanism upon
which the rest of the system is based.

You can also look at the GUI Framework design docs for the general
architecture, but don't take the details literally, yet, as I have made many
small changes and adjustments as I have been developing the core GUI
Framework, and have not yet updated the documentation.

Once again, welcome!

Curt