[FR-devel] Projects status...

From: Baptiste Lepilleur
Subject: [FR-devel] Projects status...
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 00:32:48 +0200

    Well, I'm new around here and I'd like to know the status of the
following projects:

* Debug: I've skimmed over some thread concerning the choice of a wrapper.
Have a choice been made, is there anything (even if it's just some testing
of the wrapping library).

* Parser: I've seen that NISHIO Mizuho have done a lot of works in that
domain. I haven't looked at the project yet, but I soon will. In the
meantime, I'd like to point out some things:

    The 'parser' may be use for many functionnalites, in fact there might be
many parsers:
    - live syntax error detection (really needed, Ruby has very bad syntax
reporting, often end up with parsing error at the end of the file).

    - Folding functionnality (Scintilla implements it separatly from the
lexer. The current implementation is based on the indentation, and as such
don't fold as you would expect: for each method you have at least def/end
instead of just def).

    - Code completion/Call tips: need to know the type/possible types of a
variable, and what are the symbol available in a given scope (local
variable, parameters, methods, class names...)

    - Smart indent: need to know if a line should be indented/unindented/as
the same indentation as the previous line. Though it can probably be
implemented in term of local analysis using the text style provided by
Scintilla to extract the global context (I am in a comment, a string...). I
have some success doing that with Pratical Ruby.

    - Refactoring: renaming variable, function, method, file and more
complex: parsing need to be 'global' (not local to the file). I think it
should also probably be incremental: you should be able to 'cancel' the
parsing of file, then integrate it back with the other files after
reparsing.

    - Code Analysis: to suggest Refactoring. Likely using the same parser as
Refactoring, though there might be less 'time' constraint since it is not
used as often.

* Refactoring: is there any works concerning the refactoring that exists in
ruby, and the parser data needed to apply them ?

* Application Framework: commands, undo/redo, macro recording, scripting,
settings... I've seen some reference to Command in menu while skimming Wiki
but I haven't found any links...

Thanks in advance,
Baptiste.
---