RE: [FR-devel] FreeRIDE works under Windows

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] FreeRIDE works under Windows
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 06:13:01 -0700

Hal Fulton wrote:

> Nice to know that's ready. I'll check it out soon.
>
> Curt, forgive my ignorance, but can you or someone
> state the nature of the threading problem?
>
> Did it happen with Cygwin, or is it related to the VC++
> version? Is it only an interaction with Fox, or is it a
> general thread problem?

It only happens in the mswin version, the cygwin version works just fine.

> I've written many little thread examples and exercised
> every part of the API, and I didn't really see any bug
> at that time (last year). Except for a little monitor bug
> and a "queue" bug that was fixed.

As far as I know this problem only occurs with FXRuby/FOX in the mswin
version of Ruby. Once you start up FOX's event loop using something like
this:

        @app = FXApp.new("FreeRIDE", "FreeRIDE")
        @app.run

then only the FOX UI thread runs -- all other threads appear blocked and do
not receive and processor time. But the exact same code works just fine
under the cygwin version.

Curt