RE: [FR-devel] Misc points about file organization

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Misc points about file organization
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 05:34:35 -0700

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> I'm currently trying to develop a very preliminary version of the
> Debugger plugin and I have a couple questions about file organization:
>
> First I have created a Debugger subdirectory in plugins where one can
> find Debugger.rb and plugin.xml. So far, so good.
>
> Now I have a DebuggerRenderFox.rb file as well. Shall I place it in
> plugins/System_GuiRender or shall I rather keep it in plugins/Debugger
> as well. I am tempted to say that all the things that belongs to a
> plugin should go under the plugins subdirectory.
>
> Same for the icons. The Debugger will use a specific set of icons for
> the Rendering and I am inclined to place in a icons subdirectory under
> plugins/Debugger
>
> We could also create a top level icons directory for the system icons,
> those that are part of the core system.

My inclination would be to keep everything that is debugger-specific in the
debugger plugin directory (or in subdirectories off of the debugger plugin
directory). I would use System_GuiRender for rendering generic system
components that are meant to be used/reused by other plugins in the system.

We could apply the same logic to icons. There could be a common directory
for core system icons that are meant to be reused, and icons that are
specific to a particular plugin could reside in the same directory (or
directory tree) with their plugin.

BTW, in both cases, I would not use the icons directly. Instead, the icons
should publish themselves to the databus where they can be referenced and
used by other plugins. This makes references to icons "soft" in that they
can be easily changed at run time, and it also makes it easier for us to
implements skins/themes later on.

Curt