Re: [FR-devel] Misc points about file organization

From: Hal E. Fulton
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Misc points about file organization
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:58:42 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurent Julliard" <address@hidden>
To: "FreeRIDE Developers" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 10:02 AM
Subject: [FR-devel] Misc points about file organization

> Now I have a DebuggerRenderFox.rb file as well. Shall I place it in
> plugins/System_GuiRender or shall I rather keep it in plugins/Debugger
> as well. I am tempted to say that all the things that belongs to a
> plugin should go under the plugins subdirectory.
>
> Same for the icons. THe Debugger will use a specific set of icons for
> the Rendering and I am inclined to place in a icons subidirectory under
> plugins/Debugger
>
> We could also create a top level icons directory for the system icons,
> those that are part of the core system.
>
> Suggestions, remarks welcome.

I agree with your first impulse. One of the
problems I have with Windows in general is
that there is too much centralization. Too
many files are dumped in "common" directories,
making installation and uninstallation more
difficult (and contributing to "DLL hell").

Perhaps a standard structure for a plugin
subdir would be good? For example, icons
for the Foo plugin would predictably be
under plugins/Foo/icons and so on.

Just my opinion.

Hal