[FR-devel] Hello List

From: Michael Witrant
Subject: [FR-devel] Hello List
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:44:02 +0200

Hello,

I've just joined this list and introduce myself as Laurent suggested.
Firstly I'm french and not very good in english :/

I work in a cybercafe mostly dedicated to network games. Almost
everything there is handled by Ruby in a way or another. Even the
customer interface made in Flash communicates with Ruby scripts on the
server side.

I'm a Ruby fan since I first tried it, maybe 3 years ago. I can't work
in another language anymore except C, to build Ruby extensions ;)

I've contributed a few things to the Ruby community, but mostly
vaporwares. The most advanced one is an (still unreleased but working)
extension to the Nebula Device[1] to allow Ruby scripting. Nebula is a
free 3D engine with scripting support. I'm not an 3D expert, but it
looks very well designed and has already been used in a commercial game
(Project Nomads[2]).
I'm also working on a Wiki while trying to use eXtrem Programming
methods on it.

I also use Tiki, a wiki (badly) written in Ruby to handle a french Ruby
website[3]. It's quite empty, but I try to add things from time to time.
I've started to write a Ruby tutorial there.

I've been looking for a good IDE for years and I'm still unsatisfied. I
mainly work with emacs and an xterm on linux, and with scite on windows.
I'd feel much better in a well designed Ruby IDE.

I'd have liked to talk about FreeRide, but I couldn't try it. I've
installed FOX, FXRuby and FXScintilla but when I click on the "New"
icon, it says it can't find a constant about FXScintilla (I don't
remember the exact message and can't access it right now).

I may contribute to FreeRide but the time dedicated to that may be very
limited.

mike.

PS: Screenshots on freeride.rubyforge.org are still linked to
www.rubyide.org and don't work.

[1]
http://nebuladevice.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Nebula/WebHome
[2] http://www.project-nomads.de