freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] Freetalk + Proxy

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] Freetalk + Proxy
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:21:29 -0700

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 12:41:52PM +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
,----
| >I think, the proprietary ones are able to handle non-standard ports
| >because, they run their service at non-standard ports as well.
|
| It seems Yahoo! has something called 'firewall with no proxy' which
| GAIM does not yet support. I have not checked a libyahoo2 based
| client though. But is the non-standard ports the only problem since
| GAIM does not work even when I give port 80 to it. AFAIK the
| firewall blocks all ports >1024.
|
| But funnily, now that I have got the sysadmin to temporarily open
| the ports, Freetalk still does not work, but GAIM does. Is this due
| to the absence of 'proxy support'?
`----
libyahoo2 doesn't support proxy, so is Freehoo. I guess firewall with
no proxy means, they just run Yahooim service at different ports. This
means just editing port info in libyahoo2 should make it work. Try, if
it works, we will make this setting user configurable.

Freetalk also doesn't support proxy. A new version of Freetalk is
under development using libjingle. It will have full proxy support.

,----
| >,----
| >| Moreover during the 'make' stage it seems there is a conflict
| >| with the values of the $http_proxy, $ftp_proxy and so on...
| >|
| >| http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/freetalk-dev/2006-08/msg00010.html
| >`----
| >version.texi is auto-generated. Your proxy env variable's values
| >should not get in there. Can you show your version.texi?
|
| Ok. Here it is. I am attaching
| /home/rishi/freetalk-0.69/doc/version.texi. I think the problematic
| portion of version.texi is:
| ftp_proxy=http://mmh3:address@hidden:3128/
| http_proxy=http://mmh3:address@hidden:3128/
| https_proxy=http://mmh3:address@hidden:3128/
| socks_proxy=http://mmh3:address@hidden:3128/
`----

I am wondering how the environment variables got captured into
version.texi. It is a bug. How ever, environment variables are used at
run time and setting it at compile time should make no difference. You
can try to re-build with out setting them.

Freetalk currently doesnt use loudmouth's proxy support. Loudmouth
supports only HTTP proxy. We need to specifically make use of the
LmProxy APIs to enable proxy support.
http://developer.imendio.com/api/loudmouth/loudmouth-lm-proxy.html

--
Anand Babu