freetype

Re: Fw: How to have sharp fonts?

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: Fw: How to have sharp fonts?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:46:52 -0500

>> I have problem with all linux distros about fonts generally,
>> fonts are very smooth or fuzzy and it hurts my eyes when i
>> read more of the texts , [...] any patches to improve the
>> fonts to be like windows, very sharp

Since Windows is your gold standard, this is their tunable settings:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/desktop/wpf/advanced/cleartype-registry-settings

There is a gamma level in those settings. What you call "fuzzy" is
removed by gamma correction. The thing is that this is beyond FreeType
scope. It should be done by your desktop manager (Gnome, KDE, Xfce) or
your browser, or PDF reader. I would like to redirect your complaint
up those avenues directly asking them if they do gamma correction.

Meanwhile, try ftview or ftstring from freetype-demos that your
distribution likely packages. You can explore different gamma levels
and hinting algorithms offered by FreeType. Again, ftview will show
you what is achievable  with FreeType with proper gamma correction
implemented separately in the demos.

Best.
Alexei