freetype

Re: Fw: How to have sharp fonts?

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: Fw: How to have sharp fonts?
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 20:30:12 -0500

>> * Usually pure greyscale (pixel) antialasing is way better for
>>   me, but it also depends on whether the background is dark or
>>   light and whether the rendering library applies the right
>>   gamma correction for that
>
> Since many/most text setting libraries don't take this into
> account...

This is exactly the problem with Linux unfortunately. Look at the
zebra patterns on this page:
https://freetype.org/freetype2/docs/rasterinfo/rasterinfo.html

They are not bard-on-light or light-on-dark. They are zebras which
need to be rendered evenly without moire or color fringes. Windows
lately does very good job; Linux desktops suck though. Then people
bend over backwards trying to compensate for that. Instead, gamma
correction should be one of the text settings.