fsf-community-team

[fsf-community-team] Re: Welcome to the "fsf-community-team" mailing lis

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:41:48 +0900

Good morning.

1) quick introduction

I am not an FSF member but I have been planning to be one for a while.

My name is Jean-Christophe Helary, I am French and am based in Japan where I
own a small translation company with my wife. We do not use GNU/Linux for a
small number of practical reasons, instead with use Mac OSX, but we try to use
free software for most of the technical parts of our work.

I have been promoting the free software we use (and to which I contribute by
doing localization/user support/documentation etc) in a number of venues
including localization communities and, in Japan, the Open Source Conference,
which is a group of communities that organizes meetings all around Japan, the
biggest two being the OSC Tokyo (autumn and fall) and the OSC Kansai (fall, in
Kyoto).

The internet media I check the most are Slashdot/Daringfireball/Planet emacs
and Planet Lisp/Tim Bray's blog etc. I also read a lot of blogs related to
localization/translation as well as a number of twitter accounts. I have a blog
where I try to mostly talk about free software solutions for the translator.

I'd like to focus on the "niche" topic of localization/translation issues where
the market is basically owned by Windows only applications.

Regarding 2) and 3) I'll be doing that a little later because I have a few
translations to complete right now.

Thank you for your work.

Jean-Christophe Helary