fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] interested in helping out

From: David Henry
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] interested in helping out
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:31:06 -0600

On Sat, 2008-08-03 at 10:33 -0500, Russell McOrmond wrote:
> David Henry wrote:
> > able to help in small ways.  For now, I'd like to put some time into
> > reviewing the charitable status application.
>
>    Here is a problem: this was done before I joined the list, and I
> was
> never sent a copy of the application.  I don't know exactly what
> wording
> was used.

Not a serious problem.  It was always a possibility that we would have
to start that from scratch.

>From my initial readings of the process, a lot of time would be consumed
in an effort to gain charitable status, and the character of such an
organization would have to be a long-term project anyway -- fundraising,
identifying projects to fund, etc., takes a lot of time.  Best to not
rush it.

This shouldn't mean we drop the charitable status effort, but it might
be a good idea to put it on a side burner and leave the fsf.ca domain
reserved for it.  We could then go ahead with setting up a policy
council and get straight to some campaigning.

Free software development will not stop over the next year, nor would we
likely be able to fund anything in that time period.  But Canadian
legislation will certainly barrel ahead as it is doing, and we can start
to address some of the major issues in fairly short order.  I expect
many of the others on this list would like to jump into something
substantial fairly soon.

Will write a bit more, just not today.

All the best,
David Henry