fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Technological measures in a land of myth and a time o

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Technological measures in a land of myth and a time of magic
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:10:39 -0400

On 12-03-27 09:44 AM, krishna e bera wrote:
i dont understand why we need analogies for TPM.

We need analogies because people generally don't understand technologies, or even those who do get the impacts (and targets) wrong.

it seems to me plainly morally repugnant that
any government or corporation or person, foreign or domestic,
can control what i do in my own home
with items i have bought and paid for.

If the thing you have "bought and paid for" is a copyrighted work, then your arguments won't go anywhere as the whole purpose of copyright is to limit what you can do with something you have "bought and paid for". See the comment thread on http://c11.ca/5445 "Next steps for the art resale right?"

We can argue about whether private activities should be excluded from copyright, but that is a copyright argument that is actually entirely separate from the TPM debate. That argument must be made as a copyright debate, given if it is made as a TPM argument then you loose as copyright is presumed to regulate private activities. The Conservatives have made some important fixes in this area, including the "Reproduction for private purposes" exception in C-11.

If the thing you have "bought and paid for" is your computer, mobile device, set-top box, etc -- then you are discussing something which I think nearly everyone would agree is morally repugnant, but which most people are unaware is impacted by TPMs or this legislation. This includes what appears to be a majority of technologically literate people who continue to focus their discussion on copyrighted works and copyright holders rather than on hardware/software and anti-competitive device manufacturers.

any product that tries to stop me invites cracking and deserves boycott.
any law that infringes such a basic principle is offensive to human dignity.

I already boycott Apple, Sony and Microsoft -- the worst three vendors, although unfortunately not the only three.

If you think a boycott of copyrighted content is going to be effective, then we are still talking "land of myth and time of magic". The entertainment industry doesn't understand this technology, is not making decisions based on actual effects, and have no market indicators to convince them to change their minds (IE: a content boycott is indistinguishable by them from copyright infringement, so your boycott will increase rather than decrease their support of this "magic incantation" they have purchased from technology companies).

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"