[Fsfe-uk] Patent article for review

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Patent article for review
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:38:15 +0100

Hello all,
  I was contacted (through AFFS) on Monday to write an article for
Electronics Weekly on Software Patents.  The audience is a mostly
patent loving crowd that views patents as something that protects
them the way we believe the GNU GPL protects us.

  The deadline was short and I found it hard (explaining without
being condescending, summarising without omitting).  Below is
a copy of what I finally submitted, it could be better but I
don't think there are any big tactical mistakes in it.  I can
mail a slightly updated version to the magazine tomorrow morning.

  The fewer changes I make, the more likely they'll update the
text for me.  Publication date is Wednesday 28th but tomorrow
morning is "freeze".  (This is why I haven't posted the details
of my speech, I hope to do this on thursday.)

  Please let me know if there is something terribly wrong with
this.

Thanks.
Ciaran O'Riordan

(there are a few typos which I will fix and I'll ask to mention
 ffii.org and www.softwarepatents.co.uk.  I'm also going to
 suggest an alternative title of "The Case Against Software Patents",
 and let them pick one.)