Re: [Fsfe-uk] Article for LinuxFormat

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Article for LinuxFormat
Date: 30 May 2003 09:54:47 +0100

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 09:28, PFJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to write an article for Linux Format on the insanity of
> using Microsoft in education at all levels (I have experience of further
> and higher education).
>
> Does anyone have any links to articles (or the such) for schools and the
> cost of the tie in?

I have most of that information as we sell both M$ and free systems in
schools (obviously trying to get more over to free but it can be a bit
counter-productive with some) If you let me know what you want I can
send it. I did some rough cost comparisons for my talk at the Anglia
Poly Uni. Open Source meeting, you can certainly have that data. But I
can give prices of real systems based on generic tenders where someone
ahas just assumed M$ and we have priced the same functionality with free
software. Its a complex subject with a lot of variables but the outcome
is always the same. Free software systems are significantly less
expensive. The only way to make them more expensive is to artificially
cost in more expensive support but we do it less expensively than
Windows suppliers like RM et al so that shoots that one down in flames
:-)

--
ian <address@hidden>