gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Compiling Gnome Commander in Ubuntu 20.04

From: kht-lists
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Compiling Gnome Commander in Ubuntu 20.04
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 13:34:31 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 6:59 AM, Stefan Czinczoll <schollsky@arcor.de>
wrote:

> Hi Ken, 18.04 should work, but with Version 1.10.2 of gnome commander. On
> 20.04 gcmd. won't build because gnome3 libraries are in use.
> I suggest building in an VM first.
>
> The package names in Ubuntu are different, as package format isn't .rpm, but
> .deb.
>
> You may search for packages here:
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/
>
> Package is gvfs and similar, you'll probably also need libgnome2 and similar.
>
> HTH
>
> schollsky

Thank you Stephan,

When all else fails, go back and read your notes!  I do always use a VM for
these experiments and I keep detailed notes as I cannot remember how I did
something when I want to do it again at a later date :-)  I had contributed my
notes to the G-C project and they were posted on the web site as an article
"Installing Gnome Commander on Debian, Ubuntu and Mint." However, a few
packages and steps seem to have been lost.  I am working through the process
again from scratch and will post my results to the lists. Gnome-commander is
not SUPPOSED to build on 20.04 but tromoto explained a workaround which would
make it possible.

Ken

p.s. Yes I am familiar with the difference between .rpm and .deb packages. I
just noted that my searching had found what seemed to be gnome-vfs development
packages for the RHEL/CentOS/Suse side of the house. They are also available
for Arch/Manjaro. "pamac build gnome-vfs gnome-commander" does it all as if by
magic :-)) Let me get back to work on this.