gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] THANK YOU STEPHAN !!!!! Gnome Commender compiles, installs an

From: kht-lists
Subject: [gcmd-dev] THANK YOU STEPHAN !!!!! Gnome Commender compiles, installs and runs on Ubuntu Mate 20.04
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 22:42:33 +0000

That did the trick.

I started with the VM as a clean, fresh install of Ubuntu Mate 20.04
I added these two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic multiverse

I ran apt-get update; apt-get upgrade -y; apt-get dist-upgrade -y; reboot
This caught me up on the latest updates just for good measure. Next I installed
the packages which you specified

sudo apt-get install build-essential itstool gawk libxml2-utils libglib2.0-dev
libgtk2.0-dev libgnomevfs2-dev

All of these packages installed without complaint. I then downloaded the
tarball of gnome-commander 1.10.3 source code from the web site and unpacked to
a sub-directory on my Desktop. I entered that directory from a terminal and
performed:

./configure
make
sudo make install

I ran gnome-commander from the command line. It launched just fine. I noticed
that the launcher is NOT on the Mate menu. I use the old style Applications;
Places; System menu. It should be under Applications; Accessories. I looked at
the menu configuration tool in the control center. Gnome Commander was listed
under Accessories and checked. When I looked back at the menu it was in fact
there. If that is the worst that happens I can live with it :-)

It looks like we now have a tested recipe for installing Gnome Commander on
Ubuntu 20.04. Perhaps Uwe will add this to the documentation on the web site.

Thank you again Stephan. I need to try this on the latest Mint Mate and also
try to build a .deb package which I can use to install on other machines
without installing all of the development packages.

I was going to do something else this evening but this has been much more
rewarding :-))

Ken

I don't have a Swiss bank account but I do have a Swiss email address :-)