gforge-devel

[Gforge-devel] Role-Based Access Control

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: [Gforge-devel] Role-Based Access Control
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:18:26 -0600

Does anyone have an opinion, either for or against RBAC (Role-Based Access Control).

I think it would be easier to set permissions if you just set a person as a "Jr. Developer", "Sr. Developer", etc instead of going into fine-tuning permissions for each tool.

If there isn't a lot of objections, I will switch to RBAC.

Roles:

Project Manager - Full admin access, cannot be assigned items
Sr. Developer - Can modify items, File Release + Jr. Developer
Jr. Developer - Can be assigned items, cvs commit + Analyst
Analyst - Doc Mgr edit + observer
Observer - Can view/post to private & public project sections

What other roles are needed? The limitation I see here is a Project Mgr cannot be assigned items, which causes trouble for me, as I need to be assigned items, plus the ability to edit all permissions. Should Project Manager be a separate checkbox, not a role?