gforge-devel

Re: [Gforge-devel] User ratings

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Gforge-devel] User ratings
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:10:48 +0100

Ryan T. Sammartino (2003-01-08 20:03:25 -0800) :

> Looking at cronjob/calculate_user_metrics.php hurts my brain.
>
> Do we really need such a complicated rating system?

Yes.

> Would anyone be offended if user ratings were just the average
> ratings applied to a user, weighted by the number of ratings
> received?

  I would.  We don't know who our users are.  Some are probably very
small companies, in which everyone knows each other, and the ratings
system isn't very important anyway.  Some are medium-sized companies,
in which that weighted average stuff might make sense.  Some are large
companies, where I have no idea whether it would be good or not.  Some
are public websites, where I feel it's very important that the user
rating is not vulnerable to attacks.  I expect that's the main reason
why Sourceforge chose a trust model based on Advogato, and I like the
concept.  Whether I like it or not, however, is irrelevent: I'm pretty
sure some users want it, and that's more important.

> Then we could do away with this script, the "Peer Ratings Group" (or
> whatever its called), and all the hackery therein.

  Well, I agree the special group is a hack.  Maybe the users in it
could be stored elsewhere, or in a separate table, or something.
Maybe that feature is not so much used and we could make a plugin of
it, so that the trustedness of people would be put into a separate
table.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
  -- Regalian, in My Hero (Tom Holt)