gforth

Re: [gforth] gforth borks in Windows: cannot open image file gforth.fi

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] gforth borks in Windows: cannot open image file gforth.fi
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 03:33:31 +0200

Am Sonntag, 7. Oktober 2012, 16:00:13 schrieb Andrew Pennebaker:
> Wow, when I add "C:\Program Files (x86)\gforth" to PATH and GFORTHPATH, my
> gforth hello.fs error changes to:
>
> C:\>gforth hello.fs
>
> *OS command line*:-1: No such file or directory

Ok, some more on this:  I figured out why fixpath.fs didn't work: It expected
a gforth.fi to be present, which however is generated later...

I create a setup.exe from the snapshot, download from

http://bernd-paysan.de/gforth-0.7.9-20121007.exe

This one will put the right path into the Gforth executable, which is a non-
trivial task.  Cygwin has its own ideas of what the right path is, so we
better let Cygwin figure this out ;-).  Especially, there needs to be a "." in
the GFORTHPATH, and the path separator is ":" (colon), not ";" (semicolon) as
other pathes are in Windows.

I now do add Gforth's location to PATH, but AFAIK it requies a reboot to
become effective.  I haven't done that reboot, just checked with Regedit32 if
it is there (and if the "don't dublicate it when it is there" check in my
setup script works), and added it manually to PATH in a cmd.exe shell - it
works.

The fixpath.fs execution adds a 200ms absolute minimum delay *and* a "wait for
key" in case of an error.  This helps debugging, and should not be too
annoying in the normal case (in the "it works" case, it takes more than 200ms
anyways, only in the "don't work" case it is too fast).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/