gforth

Re: dumb TERM should not show status

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: dumb TERM should not show status
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:25:46 +0200

On Wed 27 Jul 2022 at 22:01, Bernd Paysan <bernd@net2o.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2022, 20:55:02 CEST schrieb Tomas Hlavaty:
>> It looks like there are some terminals hardcoded already in ansi.fs.
>> Would it be possible to "teach" gforth to -status on dumb terminal?
>
> I suggest to do +status only on color-terminals (as defined in
> ansi.fs).

That sounds good.

Another data point:
Another terminal is screen which is also used under tmux.
I get white status line there.
dark-mode turns it blue.
I am fine with that behaviour.
I would not mind having to turn +status manually on under tmux either.
I do not actually use a color terminal except to start emacs or tmux
at which point it turns into dumb or screen TERM.
At the moment, I have to start gforth under Emacs shell like this:
gforth -e -status

> There are some possibilities to make Gforth work better with the dumb
> terminal, e.g. by turning off command line editing end echoing (the dumb
> terminal is not capable of being turned into character mode), but this is not
> that high on the priority list.

Interesting.

Is it possible to turn command line editing off manually now?

Is it possible to turn echoing off manually now?