Re: [glob2-devel] Introduction

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Introduction
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:39:51 +0100

Hello,

> I'm a performance oriented c and c++ coder and I'd like to contribute to
> the project.

Cool, you are very welcome :-)

> I had a look at the junior-jobs, but I don't know what
> exactly is the task for the TCP Stream Backend. Should there just be a
> NetStreamBackend for network use? What is supposed to be at the other
> side of the connection?

You are right, this is the NetStreamBackend. I just named it TCP to make clear
that it is not intended to be based on UDP, as UDP is not stream but packet
oriented.

But let me introduce a bit the network architecture of glob2:
- Game setup, meta server, in game orders and chat uses UDP through SDL_net
- IRC uses TCP through SDL_net

What would be very usefull, and what I had in mind while writing this Junior
Job proposal was an HTTP backend. It is also in the roadmap
(http://www.ysagoon.com/twiki/bin/view/Glob2/RoadMap)
With it, it is possible to open stream directy from a web site, so we can make
more community based interactions such as direct upload/download of maps.
Upload could be handled using HTTP POST.
Wether or not HTTPStreamBackend inherits from a TCPStreamBackend which
implements calls to SDL_net is up to the implementer.
I know that on the JJ I have written to use directly TCP functions such as
recv or send but using SDL_Net is ok.

> Is there already anyone coding on this?

I was planning to work on the HTTPStreamBackend soon but actually I'm working
with GL graphic backend so it is perfect if you want to do it.

Welcome to glob2 community and have fun,

http://nct.ysagoon.com