Re: [glob2-devel] How to handle feature request

From: MOA3333
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] How to handle feature request
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:53:59 +0100

Stephane Magnenat wrote:

Hello,

I suggest we handle feature request through savannah. This has several advantages:
I think its realy not a very good solution (the pits solution may not be perfect neather)

- unified interface with bug reports
they are not related one with the other, it is not the same thing, i find this confusing

- easy attachement possible
FR ae for discussion only, we dont nea to attach files, we only nead to attach file for contributions and/or junior jobs

- external storage and backup
well, we nead a backup system fo the wiki and forum anyway

- query/search feature
the wiki has that and the forum also, and they work well

- full bugtracker functionnality
freature requests are no bugs, they are open discutions

To this end, I've create two items group, one for bugs and one for feature requests. I've modified the web site to have two direct links. For the community, I suggest that the features are discussed on the forum and then, upon consensus, added on savannah.

Feature requests definiive nead to be discussed on the forum, phpBB is by far the most practical for discustion, but who will bother to submit it to savannah once thee is consensus? Isnt it more easy to just make a link from the wiki to the forum?

What i propose:

- now that we moved the site, we nead to clean up. It is confusing for everyone to see all this possibilities.

We nead the folowing:
- bug tracking: this are bugs, with files attached, we nead to alow comments but oroginal post will never be modified. the goeal is to fix them fast and quick.
----> the savannah is the best for that

- general impression and fans: all this shoud be on the forum, in the general discution, and IRC, i think we are ok with this

- all sort of contributions to the game itself: this are new images for the game, new sunds/music, new presentations, new translations, or patches. this are submited by one persson, and once submited, we nead to downoad the files, not much discution, and thats all. I think savannah is good for that. ----> we should use tha patch manager from savannah, of course we must fix the categories to include (images, sounds, translation, patch for some part of the code)

- other contributions: thi are maps, and tutorials and screenshots. They should be on the contributon page on the wiki. this is because we nead to link them on the wiki page so that new users can quickly find a map they want. It is easy to publish them so they easy to acess, and we dont nead comments or discution on them most of the time.
---> make the contributions area on the wiki only for maps and screenshots.

- junior jobs: they are placed afetr we discussed them, so that new users can find somethink they can help with. Once placed, they will not move, we dont nead to coment or discus them, and we nead to acess them easily. I think a single page on the wiki is enaught for now (or several pages by cathegory if the list get big) ----> erase jj from the pits, resurct a page in the old style, like it was on the old wiki.

- feature requests: this are plans for the game, they are not "to be done", only open discutions. they nead two things: to be easy to discuss them (the forum is best for that), and to be able to make a list of all requests that can change in time, both the list and the description of each request.

It is evident that only the wiki is good for the seccond part. On savannah, yes, we can make a list of them, but we cant modify the first post. All we cand do is mulptiply what the forum does in a less practical way.

They are more related witht he roadmap, because some of them may go int the roadmap.

I sugest we use the same system like the roadmap: with colors and a link to the forum topic, eventualy a little description. they should be linked from the Main Issue page, with some sub-pages that list al of them. We can use a color for each of them to show their status, and if we want to implement one of them, we just copy-paste it into the roadmap.

what do you think?

NOTE:
On savannah:
- Public Areas: Communication Tools, the requests, this topis should be erased, it is confusing - task manager?? this part is not public, and now we have the road-map. Is this of any use if not making more confusion? - Patch manager can be renamed to contributions and edit the catgory so that we can add there contributions and patches. - Bug tracking: we can let the "feature" for little improvement requests, nothing to do with long term discution about improvements.

On the wiki:
- pits are useless
- contributins are only for maps and screenshots from now on. All the code related things can go to savannah.

On the forum:
- the topic abut feature discutions should not be about bugs, we have savannah for that; if people want to discuss about a possible bug, they can do it on the general discution page, not on the one about feature plans.

Do you agree with any of this?