Re: [glob2-devel] Threads ?

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Threads ?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:12:39 +0200

Nuage wrote:

Would you like to make your own AI ? Everything is ready to allow new
AI to be created. This is a very good start to understand some key
points of the engine. And this is possibly the most fun kind of code
to add!
That was something I specificly was looking for, and when I saw that this system had a nice AI class system, it looks much interesting, and looked like a good playground.

I was thinking about making some kind of game engine myself using 3D and AI, but then I saw Globulation2 at linux-games, and it looked very much like what I planed to play myself (much more mature) with (like autonome entities and all) anyway, but without 3D. And as you know, systems like this takes time to build (if they ever get build :-)), so I will try to spend some time in Globulation2 instead, but I have a daytime job and family to take kare of so please expect to much productivity :-)

As NCT said, there are high chances that the complexity added by
mulithreading glob2 will not worth the speedup. It's not only about the
spent time on this adding, but the added complexity can slower other
future improvements.
I understand, and it was primary the sound clicking problem that tricked me ... but there may be other ways to fix this.

I also need more time in Your network code, it looks interesting (I read the txt file too.).

This game where originaly developped in french at a time we didn't
spoke english well enough to maintain our private TODO list in this
foreign language. Then the lines in french are the oldest.
Could they be translated ? My French are non existing :-)

/BL