Re: [glob2-devel] Creature AI

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Creature AI
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:57:01 +0200

Hello,

For the reference about GA, the standard one is Goldberg89:
@book{Goldberg89,
        author={Goldberg, D. E},
        year=1989,
        title={Genetic Algorithms in Search Optimization \& Machine Learning},
        address = {Reading, MA},
        publisher={Addison-Wesley}
}
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201157675/qid=1116834189/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-9311360-0363113?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Nevertheless, it is a bit old (15 years), but I just had a look at it (you
know, that's *the* reference we are always citing and never looking in) and
it seems good.

If you want an introduction, you can have a look at the course my supervisor
is giving:
http://lis.epfl.ch/education/courses/BioinspiredAdaptiveMachines/index.php
Although it is evolutionary robotic oriented, there is an introduction to GA,
and it is on the net.

The Wikipedia article can also be a good starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm
It also has a reference on a newer Goldberg book.

So I suggest you first have a look on the Wikipedia pages and the courses
slides, and if you want to know more, a good book is always a secure choice.

On the scripting side, SGSL is clearly a hack thatshould be replaced one day.
The actual idea is to write our own new script, because the special threading
features we want is difficult to find in other scripting engine. Marvelous
was working on it but right now he is busy in his diploma's work rewriting an
operating system based on CLR over L4. Nevertheless, you can have a look in
the libwee (wonderfull execution environment) and libusl (usefull/less
scripting language) in glob2 cvs.

Thanks for you interest in glob2,

Have fun,