Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:15:39 +0200

Andrew Sayers wrote:

First, I rather liked Stephane's list of requirements idea, so here
goes...

* Security.  It should be possible to put the program in quite a small
 sandbox while it's running.  It would be bad for the program to, say,
 upload /etc/passwd to a website (which would be pretty easy in Perl)
I agree, we don't want to create a new worm/vira platform like outlook :-)

* Size.  I think everyone's already said this, but it's worth
 remembering that Perl is Big.
Size as in language complexity, or as in binary footprint ?

* Documentation.  To be useable, a programming language needs lots of
 it, with examples.
I am aware of that and are working on it btw. Language documentation are an iterative process, I just can't sit down writing a manual over a week or two, I don't have the ability :-)

* Sustainability.  With no offence meant to Bo, what happens if you fall
 under a bus?  Is there anyone else that could maintain the code?
God point, but I don't plan to :-) The project is free, and I work at making TEA as easy to use and read as possible, but bad things could happened.

But, we all have to start sometimes, and if we don't do things different, how can we be better ?

* License.  TEA currently has no license information on it.  Does that
 make it public domain?  I'm not sure.  Any language will need to be
 GPL-compatible anyway.
Sorry about that. I plan for either LGPL or BSD, or whatever license that don't take up 40 lines of every source file ... I just hate that. The top of the source file is for nice comments about the functionality ! It is an absolutely free project, and will remain that way, as I don't see the point in doing otherwise for a core language, like TEA. I just like any code changes to stay in the project, but otherwise I will not put restrictions on its usage (I use it professionally in a non GPL project, myself)

Let me know if You have some insight into this license subject, as I am not very knowledgeable in this regard. I too have a tendency to ignore things that is not LGPL or BSD (or apache), but I have not studied the subject closely and have no plan doing so in the future.

* A programmer.  Ultimately, the only thing that really counts is that
 there's someone offering to do the job with TEA.
Well, I was hopping to be able to do this myself, to make the things I learn, doing the processes, mature the TEA language.

First, I've played with LISP before, and I'm not a gigantic fan.  But
it is much easier to do GA-type stuff in LISP than in C.  Basically,
LISP programs can be represented as trees, which makes it significantly
easier to genetically modify them - say, by pruning a branch off one
tree and grafting it onto another.  Lua is a LISP-like language, which
makes me happy but isn't an argument on its own for using it.

Ok, I am not that strong in the GA part, but how about Lua's type checking system ? As far as I remember most of its checking is done at runtime, and not at compile time (the nature of the language). Tea is strong typed (like C++ and ML), and the goal is to be able to check everything at compile time (except NULL values, sorry).

However, I would
prefer to see a general-purpose language in future versions, that can be
easily expanded with hooks into the program.
I agree, the amount of things that would be possible using scrips will give nice future possibilities.

Now, back to VM coding :-)

/BL