Re: [glob2-devel] licence

From: MUNTEANU Olimpiu Andrei
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] licence
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:11:25 +0200

Bo Lorentsen wrote:

God point, but I don't plan to :-) The project is free, and I work at making TEA as easy to use and read as possible, but bad things could happened.

But, we all have to start sometimes, and if we don't do things different, how can we be better ?

I agree...

* License.  TEA currently has no license information on it.  Does that
 make it public domain?  I'm not sure.  Any language will need to be
 GPL-compatible anyway.
Sorry about that. I plan for either LGPL or BSD, or whatever license that don't take up 40 lines of every source file ... I just hate that. The top of the source file is for nice comments about the functionality ! It is an absolutely free project, and will remain that way, as I don't see the point in doing otherwise for a core language, like TEA. I just like any code changes to stay in the project, but otherwise I will not put restrictions on its usage (I use it professionally in a non GPL project, myself)

Let me know if You have some insight into this license subject, as I am not very knowledgeable in this regard. I too have a tendency to ignore things that is not LGPL or BSD (or apache), but I have not studied the subject closely and have no plan doing so in the future.

Well, let me make some history... There is the gpl licence you can use for end-user programs and very used software that you dont want Microsoft to use to make a proprietary operatig systems and then knock you out with patents and threats, using your own work....

LGPL will alow you to dynamicaly link your "library" to your program, and at the same time protect your library from somebody else. However it may restrict you for staticaly linked software non-GPL-compatible. If you don't want LGPL or double-licence (GPL - proprietary, witch is hard to manage), you can choose at your own risk (but the risk is not hight in this case) some of this completly free, "non-copyleft" licences:

DON'T use those , because ALL of them are GPL-incompatible and Globulation2 is GPLed:
DON'T use Apache1.0, Apache1.1, Apache2.0
DON'T use any other Apache licence. DON'T use the Original BSD license <http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/COPYRIGHT2.html#6>
DON'T use  the XFree86 1.1 licence

YOU CAN USE: Modified BSD license <http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/COPYRIGHT2.html#5>: This is the original BSD license, modified by removal of the advertising clause. It is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license, compatible with the GNU GPL.
YOU CAN USE: The X11 original 1.0 licence
YOU CAN USE: The Expat Licence ( MIT License )
YOU CAN USE:  License of ZLib <http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html>

If you like BSD, I sugest you use the modified BSD licence, that most new projects use this days when choosing "the BSD licence"

you can read more here: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html about compatibility