Re: [glob2-devel] licence

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] licence
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:19:54 +0200

MUNTEANU Olimpiu Andrei wrote:

LGPL will alow you to dynamicaly link your "library" to your program, and at the same time protect your library from somebody else. However it may restrict you for staticaly linked software non-GPL-compatible. If you don't want LGPL or double-licence (GPL - proprietary, witch is hard to manage), you can choose at your own risk (but the risk is not hight in this case) some of this completly free, "non-copyleft" licences:

This is just what I hade about this issue, no real logic :-) I was thinking about LGPL as it gave freedom over the project, and its usage, without someone just took over the project and adds fixes and updates I could not enjoy ! I thought the linking problem only was related to GPL ! I don't care about credit or pure GPL just plain freedom without any fuzz !

And then the simple "don't mess to much with my code, please" idea !

DON'T use those , because ALL of them are GPL-incompatible and Globulation2 is GPLed:
DON'T use Apache1.0, Apache1.1, Apache2.0
DON'T use any other Apache licence. DON'T use the Original BSD license <http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/COPYRIGHT2.html#6>
DON'T use  the XFree86 1.1 licence

Hmm, ok !

YOU CAN USE: Modified BSD license <http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/COPYRIGHT2.html#5>: This is the original BSD license, modified by removal of the advertising clause. It is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license, compatible with the GNU GPL.

This sound like me, too :-)

YOU CAN USE: The X11 original 1.0 licence
YOU CAN USE: The Expat Licence ( MIT License )
YOU CAN USE: License of ZLib <http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html>

If you like BSD, I sugest you use the modified BSD licence, that most new projects use this days when choosing "the BSD licence"

I just like the BSD licens :-) I am a full time Linux programmer !

you can read more here: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html about compatibility

Ahh, what I try to avoid :-) But ok, I quess I'll have to :-(

Thanks for input.

/BL