Re: [glob2-devel] Map.h, map.cpp and gradients

From: Eli
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Map.h, map.cpp and gradients
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:33:09 -0400

On Jul 6, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Andrew Sayers wrote:
Well, this seems like a fine set of ideas! As far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't cause any bugs, rewriting Map.cpp seems like a good thing to do; there's a lot of confusing code in there... ~_~ I just have a few quibbles though:

Workers looking for resources could follow a compound gradient of:
        forbidden_gradient*256*256 +
        (253-danger_gradient)*256 +
        resource_gradient
Makes a great deal of sense. Problem is, if the closest resources are, for example, right next to an enemy tower, then won't the glob hover at the edge of the tower's range? Or am I not understanding something here?

It strikes me as a better solution that when a space enters a team's
active vision, or is changed while in active vision, that space should
be recalculated.

Thing is, without the 'Magical Knowledge', how do you build your first inn? You can't order your workers to explore, your Explorers might not look in the right direction, and the wood isn't always that close...

It would indeed be helpful for globs to not, for instance, go to steal some enemy-controlled wood you didn't know about and get killed; but I think they should just prefer visible resources, rather than only using them...

* Occupied spaces and water spaces (for non-swimming globs) are counted
  as forbidden, as well as normal forbidden areas.
That is odd. I often have globs stray into my forbidden areas (and leave immediately), but I have never seen a glob stray into water or a building. What's the difference there?