[glob2-devel] Dioxide status (currently hosting globulation2.org)

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: [glob2-devel] Dioxide status (currently hosting globulation2.org)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:59:17 -0800

Ok, I've been doing a lot of research lately on securing my box and software that we can use on it. I have decided that once I finish up this last bit of work I have to do, it will be ok to run phpbb on my system. my plan is to lock everything away from apache so even if phpbb is exploited, apache won't have access to actually let it do anything!

other things:
- this x-mas/new years server will go down for a few, preferably minutes, for a rack (if I get it) and a UPS to go in.

- crontab only works for root by the looks of it :( so if you have a link to allow fcron to work for everybody, I'm all ears, but in the meantime, just give me a line that you want me to run. keep in mind, if it's a script, the script will be chmod'ed so nobody can write to it for security reasons.

- the plan is to get exim setup for smtp, but I'm no expert whatsoever on email systems. On that note, if anybody is willing to sit down with me and help me understand all of this that would be much appreciated so i can get a fully working email system up for everyone!

- iptables is currently locked down pretty tight, I probably need to add an exempt to them for port 80 and 443 as right now I block AOL, China, Korea, and Nigera. Which ones would you guys liked unlocked? If anybody wants to take a look over those things, the link to them is:
http://dioxide.randomvoids.com/~appleboy/iptables.sh

- bandwidth is currently at 5mbps/800kbps up/down respectively, I'm working on getting the upgrade, ETA unknown but at this point in time none of that bandwidth is used.

- new HDs are coming soon too! If I can't get the scsi drives, I'll go with two 74G 10k RPM SATA drives in a raid1 and then do a proper partitioning scheme.

- tonight is update ahoy! I've been doing a ton of them

- server has been up 40 days! this is kickass! :) Then again, my other one has been up for 71

why I'm posting all of this to the list, I don't know, I could just be out of my mind tonight as it is late and I'm tired

Of course, any suggestions to help the security or performance of this server will be taken into consideration :)

Kyle