[glob2-devel] who's doing mapgeneration?

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: [glob2-devel] who's doing mapgeneration?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:46:46 +0100

Hi List

for those interested in mapgeneration i'd like to present how far i got by now. Please see http://home.mnet-online.de/LeoWandersleb/maps.png as an example of maps with varieing smoothing and proportions. main problem about my algo so far is that it is not torodial so far.

The Algo: use perlin-noise to generate a (8bit so far but due to be adjusted as proportions can not be maintained very well with hundreds of tiles at the same level) heightmap. count height values. set them to be water/sand/grass accordingly. this algo is fine to have tiny islands as well as big islands with both rough or smooth coastlines as the basefrequency and the octaves are adjustably independently.

i have ideas on makeing my algo torodial by superposeing heightmaps that fade in and out to fit the rectangle as needed.

Greetings, Leo