Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar desync

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar desync
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:06:17 -0800

On 1/18/06, Nuage <address@hidden> wrote:
> Bradley Arsenault wrote:

> >>For instance you use a Uint32 and say the highest 16 bits is the actual
> >>integer
> >>value, and the 16 lower bits are the fixed decimal values.
> >>
> >>withFloat(a, b)
> >>{
> >> float sum = 0;
> >> sum += (a / b);
> >>}
> >>
> >>withFixed(a, b)
> >>{
> >> Uint32 sum = 0;
> >> sum += ((a << 16) / b);
> >>}
> >

> > I have never heard of the term before, and no one else recognizes it,
> > and I certainly don't know any fixed point decimal algorithms. Is it
> > possible that I could import part of Boost.Rational into the cvs
> > itself?
>
> Well, maybe the official name is "fixed point". It's quite a simple concept,
> used for ages before floating points did appear. Please simply learn to use
> it,
> that can't hurt a brain like yours :)

Look, I don't have the time nor the patience to learn fixed point
decimal algorithms, of which I would need many to be able to work. Its
quite a waist to make my own integer class especially when their are
many already made, and many of those could be easily imported into the
source. Especially the rational class from boost, which would single
handedly solve my problems. Many boost things would solve my problems,
I certainly don't see why not using boost is such a big problem, when
the usage of boost has such substantial benifits. Boost can almost be
garunteed to be on every linux system, and windows is definitly not a
problem, boost has portability in mind, and for the one (there would
be only one) person making the compilation on windows, installing
boost for the compile would be a snap.

I've hinted at it many times already, Boost is a good thing. Can we
please drop the dependancy issue against boost, and have it before
1.0? It would make life, my life in particular, allot easier, and the
code would be plenty more beautifull.