Re: [glob2-devel] all of the latest cvs errors

From: Nuage
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] all of the latest cvs errors
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 03:16:41 +0100

Here is the way it went:

1) I make the gradient system to dump info when the unit is blocked.

2) Someone add a "boo verbose" to avoid this text dump. This is good. What is
wrong is that the verbose flag in the gradient system is meant to be a copy of
the verbose flag of the unit it's currently pathfinding. It is not meant to use
a global static variable.
Adding a verbose flag: good
Using a global bool: bad
Not using the same semantic used everywhere else in the code: bad

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/glob2/glob2/src/Map.cpp?r1=1.199&r2=1.200
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/glob2/glob2/src/Map.h?r1=1.138&r2=1.139

3) Someone else add some new features on a separate branch. In this case using a
global static bool named "verbose" is meanfull. And has good reasons to switch
it on.

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/glob2/glob2/src/Map.h?r1=1.147&r2=1.147.2.1

4) A third one merge the branches with two different global static use of the
same variable.

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/glob2/glob2/src/Map.h?r1=1.147&r2=1.147.2.1

5) result is below.

6) Here is the way I suggest we fix it:
We add a cool comment to this global static const variable, so people don't use
it in two different ways:
// this is a verbose flag, so it verbose more when it's true and stop dumping
some debug into to the stdout when it's false. Not that it's static and const
because it looks nice.
If you have any idea how to make the comment uber cool, please add it, thank
you.